Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Making of Mask: Wrathful Energies

For the "Wrathful Energies" installment of the Tibetan Book of the Dead series (May 7th, 8pm Rubin Museum of Art), I knew that masks were going to be an essential part of creating the ferocious deities of the Buddhist pantheon. As one who has observed and studied Cham dances of Buddhist performing arts, and being a sculptor myself, this was a joyful experience!

For Yama, I was fortunate to find a cow's mask and transform it with paint, clay and leather into the fierce "Lord of Death".

For Mahakala, the wrathful emination of the Buddha of Compassion, Avalokiteshvara, I used paper mache from scratch, as is the traditional style. This mask also follows the tradition of the performer seeing through the nostrils.
Both masks I created in the traditional method of the eyes being the last detail, and an "opening of the eyes"ceremony to envoke the spirit into the creation.

Finally, when a performer wears the mask, the energy of the wrathful deitey in all of its power and ferociousness is truly brought to life "Each thundering in turn," to terrify and delight!






1 comment:

  1. Can you make me a mahakala mask? I'll pay you, interested in masks of dieties thank you. tjay1988@aol.com to get in touch, seriously. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete